Spring storms and the damage they leave are something we take for granted in Oklahoma. We hear stories on the news every day about someone losing their home and possessions due to tornados or damaging winds. Have you ever really thought about what you would do if you had to make a claim after the storm? What number would you call? What if your policy is blown away with your house? Do you know from memory all the stuff you and your family had?!! There is never a better time than now to think about planning for after the disaster.
Complete an Inventory of all your Possessions
Here are some great ideas from our partners at Traveler’s Insurance:
Here are some suggestions for getting started.
- Take a picture. Take pictures of rooms and important individual items. Label pictures with a description, including where you bought it and the make, model and serial number. Remember items that are in storage closets or drawers.
- Video record it. Walk through your home or office with a video recorder or tape recorder and describe the contents.
- Create an electronic file – Use your computer or mobile device to create and store your inventory list. Take advantage of mobile applications or free online software like www.knowyourstuff.org to organize pictures or descriptions of your belongings by room or category.
- Store the list, photos and tapes. Regardless of how you create it (written or electronic list, flash drive, photos, video or audio), keep your inventory along with receipts in your safe deposit box, on a disk or at a friend or colleague’s home. Doing so will help ensure you will have something to give your insurance representative if your home is damaged. When you make a significant purchase, add the information to the inventory while the details are fresh in your mind.
- Consider expensive items. Valuable items like jewelry, art and collectibles may have increased in value since you received them. Check with your agent to make sure that you have adequate insurance for these items. They may need to be insured separately.
- Don’t forget to get digital copies of your important records also. You need copies of medical records, insurance policies, bank account and credit card info as well as copies of important financial documents. Always keep copies of all the above at a separate location from your home or business address.
You can visit this link to download Traveler’s Disaster Preparedness Checklist: https://www.travelers.com/prepare-prevent/mother-nature/emergency-preparedness/personal-inventory.aspx?cm_mmc=pi*rc-_-epinventory041715*nl-_-fb*o-_-
You can also share the video at the link above with friends and family. As always at Perimeter Insurance Agency we are ready to answer your questions about Disaster Preparedness and help your family make sure that you have the right coverage for all your property. If you are a business owner, don’t forget you need a plan for your business as well! These same principles apply no matter where you are in Oklahoma. Contact us today at 405-778-8880 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a complimentary policy review and check up. You will sleep better at night knowing you have a plan in place!